1. Schedule your portrait session before March 31 by calling the studio - (503)838-5416 or email us today .
2. Schedule a consultation. If you have not been in to the studio before, we find it really helpful to meet with you to plan the session to make sure that your images are truely memorable. We will talk about clothing, backgrounds and possible props.
3. Arrive at the studio a few minutes early for your session with clothing (and props?) in hand. Don't stress. You will have time to dress your children (or undress them) and fuss with their hair. Let us worry about everything else! Get directions from Corvallis or Salem.
4. Schedule a selection appointment for a week after the session. This is very important. Without this appointment, you will not be eligible for the contest. This is when you will select an image to be entered in the contest and any images you want to purchase for yourself.
5. Voting. After you have decided on your entry, we will post the image online. We will send you an email with the link and then it is time to VOTE, VOTE, VOTE! The public will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite images by making donations to Operation Backpack. You will also have an envelope so that you can solicit donations and pass that link on to all your friends, of course. The portrait that raises the most will win the contest and a 24" Wall Portrait valued at over $700! Second prize is an 11x14 portrait valued at over $300. It is all good fun and stuffing the ballot box is encouraged. :-) Voting will end on April 10th, with the winner announced at the end of April.
FAQ's about the Children's Contest:Can I have all of my children in one portrait? Absolutely. This is not an individual beauty contest (all children are beautiful, aren't they?) so the more the merrier. We can even include parents, grandparents or cousins. Our goal is to create images that are artful and emotionally meaningful.
Is there any advantage to having the portrait session done early in the month? Yes, the first people photographed will have more time to collect votes.
What if my child doesn't smile? Many times, the most interesting and compelling images do not have a smile. The face may not even show. The tilt of a head or the tiny toes turned inward may be all that is needed to make a connection with the viewer. Be open to the possibilities.
What if I need to reschedule? We ask for a minimum of three days notice for rescheduling sessions or selection appointments so that time can be made available to other people. If your child wakes up sick on the day of the session, of course, we will allow you to reschedule. Your selection appointment must take place within two weeks of the portrait session in order to be eligible for the contest and the special contest pricing is only available at that time.
I have no idea what props to bring. Are they important? No. Often simple pictures are best and we do have props here at the studio. Think about emotional symbols that you might include in the portrait that will make the images more meaningful like items that help tell a story, or things that have been passed down in the family.
I don't want my child's photograph on the internet. Is that required? No. You can still participate by having your child's photograph made and making the donation to Operation Backpack. We will not be posting names or any other personal information.
Check out this video from past Children's Contests!
If you have any questions, please call us at (503)838-5416 or email us!